9.25.2013

things change.

This post is for all the precious people in my life who may have wondered (kindly) if I lost my mind six months ago.

I have been a "professional" worship leader for ten years. I started serving on a worship team in college, and worship ministry was my chosen career path upon graduating. Over those ten years, I have been raised, trained, and mentored in one of the greatest churches in America. Everyone around me supported me in my gifting and confirmed that I am a worship leader. I served with an amazing, authentic worship team and with humble, supportive pastors. I loved the Lord with all my heart, and trusted that He was going to keep me in the trajectory He had laid on my heart in college.

Life for this 20-something worship leader was picture-perfect, all things considered.

Then.

Eight years in, something changed. I got tired. No, not just tired--dry. Bone dry.

I lost vision for where we were headed in worship. I couldn't see how I could lead anyone into further growth when I was growing so tired of the routine myself. So, I blamed the routine. And in search of something that would wet my soul again, I abandoned unity with my leadership and my team. Chaos followed.

Personal struggles started hitting me in a different way, a way I didn't know how to manage. I took offense after offense after offense, and grew paranoid that my "position" was in jeopardy. When my leadership decisions were called into question, I took it as a personal attack. I was in misery, and I put everyone around me in misery as well.

I didn't know it at the time, but my entire sense of identity and self-worth was wrapped up in a season that was drying up.

Shortly after Easter 2013, God put a stop to the madness. I took a week off to pray about what I should do, thinking at first that I would just easily transition into another area of ministry. After all, God called me into vocational ministry in college, and surely something like that wouldn't change.

Except.

That week, He told me, in no uncertain terms, that I was to leave paid ministry. After that, the world was wide open--I could do anything I wanted, but the one thing I knew, and thought I would always do, was off-limits.

When you hear something that clearly, it may be scary to walk forward in obedience, but saying no is even more terrifying. So, with Travis' full agreement, I resigned.

As soon as I made that step, peace overtook me. The areas of my heart that were experiencing such turmoil became quiet, expectant, and finally open to the means of healing He chose. The strained relationships in my life finally were able to breathe. And my transition out, unlike so many others I have witnessed, was one of peace, joy, and honor on all sides.

In my mind, that can only be God.


So, where are we now? Experiencing life to the fullest. Joy beyond imagination, peace beyond our prayers, and healing that I so desperately needed.

Life abundant...all while working at a coffee shop.

More on that to come...

13 comments:

Geoff said...

Thank you for your honesty and transparency Sarah. I'll never forget the first time I heard you on a worship team in the annex to the last time I heard you lead worship at Summerville. God has gifted you in a way few ever experience. I'm praying for you as you heal up from the bruises, wounds and strain on your soul that comes from ministry. I know that God is using you now in the coffee shop and will continue to use you as you journey toward whatever is next. You are an amazing child of the King

Unknown said...

You are an amazing young woman Sarah. Thanks for your refreshing honesty. You are gifted in so very many ways. I know Gods plans for you are going to blow your mind. So glad I got to share my art journaling with you and the ladies in Summerville. Your beautiful spirit and hilarious personality are missed. Prayers for you as you open your heart to the next phase of your life.

Sarah said...

Geoff, you and Sherry helped shape me so much over the past ten years! I can't thank you enough for all you've invested in me. Proud to call you my "parents". :)

Sarah said...

Jill--YOU are amazing, and an incredible inspiration. Thanks for helping me start a new ministry that is STILL going on!

Shannon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shannon said...

Sarah, it takes an amazing woman of God to lead worship at such a large ministry. It takes an even more amazing disciple to listen to God and obey, especially if it is to walk away. I too am in another transition period and have had countless people question whether I will go back to teaching. I am simply taking time away to listen, obey and trust in Him

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

Sarah said...

Shannon--that is amazing! What a cool and crucial season you're in. If there's anything I could say, it's don't rush through it. Let Him draw you closer through all the unknowns.

Joe Hanna said...

This was awesome, soul sister. And very real. The kinda real that increases my respect for someone (who I already respect) even more. I would be lying if I said I don't miss you. I would also be lying if I said you didn't take an older music vet and shape him (and help him grow) in ways he never knew possible. 'Him' being 'me' in this case. (Obviously.) Music is a journey... a lifelong journey at that. During my years, I have found myself excited at times, tired at other times, inspired and uninspired. I am always in a state of self-examination, but I hope to always stay as open to that deeper inner "bigger picture" voice as you seem to be. I'm very proud to be your friend (as well as a soul bubba). This was a great read. Very inspirational. :)

Joe Hanna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joe Hanna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shawn Wood said...

Thank you for this post.
You just lead us in worship.
Shawn

Unknown said...

Sarah,

Thanks so much for being real. Such a wonderful example to all that we all struggle, sometimes even with the very thing that we feel God has called us to do, and in those times it is crucial that we listen to His voice and obey what He tells us to do, even it means doing something that we don't understand, because he sees the WHOLE picture and wants to lead us to His perfect plan and abundance in Him. He is bringing me into a season of being still to hear His voice and while it is exciting, it is scary because I'm not good at being still! Thank you for your reminder that "listening" is so important because if we don't we just might miss His amazing joy and peace that He so desires for each of us!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Sarah,
Oh, your Uncle has missed your "bloggin'"...; Out of the Blue, today...I happened to re-visit and saw your updates. What "came to Mind"...is always a powerful word from Our Lord: "Be Anxious For NOTHING....But...." (You recall it, surely..Phil 4)....read it again...and Rest...Knowing HIS PEACE is YOURS...
Much Love,
Uncle Leighton